Colmonoy® 88 Material Information
About Colmonoy® 88
Colmonoy® 88 is a hard surfacing alloy patented under the Wall Colmonoy Corporation. This alloy consists of 3% Boron, 0.08% Carbon, 15% Chrome, 3% Iron, 4% Silicon, 17% Tungsten with a balance of Nickel. The combination of complex borides and carbide with the Ni-Cr-B matrix offers excellent hardness (59-64 Rockwell C) and extends the service life of parts exposed to high-temperature abrasion, erosion, corrosion, galling and fretting.
Selection Criteria for Colmonoy® 88 Coatings
Colmonoy® 88 has applications in many different industries and is present in multiple forms including bare rods, powders, ingots, castings, etc. For thermal spray coating applications a powder form is applied for both strength and hardness requirements at elevated temperatures. Colmonoy® 88 also has excellent resistance to abrasion, erosion, corrosion, pitting, galling and fretting.
Properties of Colmonoy® 88 Coatings
- Excellent hardness due to carbide and boride forming elements (59-64 Rockwell C)
- Retains reasonable hardness at higher temperatures
- Good Strength
- Excellent resistance to wear
- Good resistance to hot oxidation, sulfidation and erosion
- Protective oxide layer of chromium oxide on the surface
- Excellent resistance to pitting corrosion due to high Ni content
- High bonding strength
- Dense coating
Potential Coating Benefits
- Colmonoy® 88 coatings enhance the service life of the product.
- Coatings are very effective for wear protection.
- Spray coating technology is efficient and reliable.
- Good defense against a wide variety of surface attacks and damages.
- Good combination of metallurgical and mechanical properties.
- No expected loss of hard phases during coating development.
- Due to fusing operation parts have to be able to withstand high temperatures (1950° F) without degrading
Uses and Applications
- Commonly used in spray and fuse applications.
- Plastic-extrusion screws, plastic-injection screws and in twin-barrel extruders where wear resistance is required.
- Triplex and duplex pump plungers, frac-pump plungers and thermowells.
- Power plant grate bars, hot-cyclone separators, superheater tubes & panels and boiler tubes.
- Ball valves, pump casings and pump sleeves.
- Mixing rotors and end plates.
- Slurry-pipe elbows, coal-discharge chutes and centrifugal scrolls.
- Wire-drawing capstans.